Special Meeting Minutes
Annual Board Retreat
June 13, 2002
- Preliminary Business - The meeting was called to order at 9:35 a.m.
- Roll Call – The Chair welcomed a new board member, Paul Zellinsky. Chair Laquita Fields, Members Sutapa Basu, Marilee Scarbourgh, James Vaché, Paul Zellinsky were present. Board staff included Counsel to the Board Jean Wilkinson, Counsel to Board Staff Linda Dalton, Senior Assistant Attorney General Linda Moran, Assistant Attorney General Bob Hargreaves, Executive Director Brian Malarky, Ethics Investigator Sue Jones, and Training and Information Specialist Debbie O’Dell.
- Approval of Agenda – The Retreat agenda was approved with no changes.
- Investigations and Enforcement, Investigation Priorities – Board Counsel Jean Wilkinson facilitated a discussion of the Board’s investigation and enforcement process. The Board asked the Board staff to prepare a matrix of prior Board enforcement actions.
Staff and Board Activities, Communications - Board Counsel Jean Wilkinson facilitated a discussion of the "ex-parte" rules as they relate to the Board’s investigation and enforcement process. The Board asked staff to schedule regular debriefings with Board staff regarding recently completed enforcement actions. In addition, the Board’s staff will develop a recommendation to provide for a designated Board member to review enforcement actions.
- Lunch and Recent Court Opinions - Board Counsel Jean Wilkinson updated the Board about a recent King County Court case. The case involved the Pubic Disclosure Commission and the use of school district facilities for political speech.
- Strategic Planning – Vision Statement, Mission and Priorities – A private consultant, Kathy Friedt, facilitated a strategic planning discussion with the Board and staff. The Board developed a rough vision statement and draft mission statement. Board staff will refine the vision and mission statements for review at the July 12, 2002 meeting.
- Strategic Planning – Next Steps, Budget, Board and Staff Performance Measures - Kathy Friedt facilitated this continued strategic planning discussion. The Board established several strategic goals, which included: (a) increasing awareness of ethical obligations; (b) improving Board effectiveness and accountability; (c) improving the Board’s internal processes; and (d) establishing a quarterly review of Board and staff progress toward implementation of its strategic goals. In addition, the Board identified several internal and external work plans and initiatives to achieve its mission. Board staff will refine the goals, initiatives and work plan and draft a strategic plan for Board review at its July 12, 2002 meeting.
- Miscellaneous Matters/Adjournment – The Board adjourned at 4:05 p.m.