Executive Ethics Board Regular Meeting Minutes
A. Preliminary Business
1. Roll Call - The meeting was called to order at Present were Chair Marilee Scarbrough, Vice-Chair Paul Zellinsky, Member Trish Akana, Member James Vaché, and Member Evelyn Yenson. Also in attendance: Executive Director Brian Malarky, Assistant Attorney General Sharon Eckholm, Investigator Sue Jones, Compliance Analyst Mechele Linehan, and Education & Outreach Coordinator Debbie O'Dell.
2. Approval of Agenda –
3. Approval of April 9, 2004 Regular Meeting Minutes – Motion made, seconded and passed to approve the April 9, 2004 minutes as written.
4. Approval of
5. Approval of May 26, 2004 Special
Meeting Minutes - Member Akana asked that the minutes reflect the outcome
of the Board's action on the Executive Director's draft non-binding staff
analysis requested by the Washington state Investment Board (WSIB). Specifically, the Board instructed the Executive Director to not issue the
letter and to
convey both orally and in writing the three points of the Board's concern: (1) the EEB
determined there is insufficient information to extend protection under the
Ethics Act to current WSIB staff and to conclude there is not a violation of
the Act; (2) if the facts are as stated, the EEB may find a violation under RCW
42.52.020 and .040; and (3) the WSIB has an obligation under RCW 42.52.190 to
adopt policies governing approval of investments and establishing criteria to
be considered in the approval process.
Motion was made, seconded and passed to approve the
B. Proposed Stipulations and Orders
EEB Case No. 03-110 (Gilbertson) The
proposed stipulation and order resolves the allegation that Keith Gilbertson, an employee
for the University of Washington (UW), accepted free transportation for his
wife and two minor children to attend the 2003 Washington v. Ohio State
football game. Under the proposed agreement,
Results: After considering the matter in closed session, the Board accepted the proposed stipulation and order.
C. Advisory Opinions
1. Memo Regarding Advisory Opinion 04-03,
Potential Conflicts of Interest Involving Public Hospital District Review Board
- Mr. Malarky briefed the Board members and provided a preliminary analysis
regarding potential conflicts of interest created when the private employers of
certain public hospital project review board (Project Review Board) members
would like to bid on projects that were approved by the Project Review
2. Update on Draft Letter to the
D. Agency Policy Review Requests
1. Policy Review Request No. 04-6-0303-004, Department of Social & Health Services, regarding "Outside Employment" Policy - Motion was made, seconded and passed to approve the policy as written.
2. Policy Review Request No.
04-6-0303-005, Department of Social & Health Services, regarding
"Relationships with Clients and Vendors" Policy -
F. Executive or Closed Session (working lunch) - At , the Board moved into executive session to consider complaints against public officials. The Board, Board Counsel, and Board Staff attended the executive session. The Board then met in closed session to consider proposed stipulations and orders in several quasi-judicial matters before them. The Board and Board Counsel attended the closed session.
G. Public Comment/Board Member Comment – There were no public or board member comments.
H. Miscellaneous Matters/Adjournment. After reconvening the public session at , the Board accepted the proposed
stipulation and order in EEB Case No. 03-110,